Thread: Mechanics Creep
View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 07, 2019, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Although all this brings back a fond memory of a "veteran" official and what he said to me once. I was probably about 3 years in and was working a JV game. Vet walks in and starts talking to my partner and I and says "I can tell you guys did not communicate before the game."

I said, "What makes you say that." I knew we emailed but didn't talk. He responds with, "I carry 2 color shoe laces so I always match my partner, and your shoe laces don't match."

I gave him, what I imagine to be, the stupidest look in my life. I stood up and walked out while he was mid-sentence of some other nonsense.

That was the moment I realized that I cannot take everything any official tells me seriously, and I need to weigh what, and whom, is mentoring/coaching me.

The little mentoring I ever did, I always prefaced it with, pick what you want from what I tell you, but don't pick everything. It worked, kinda, for me, and I guarantee it all won't work for you. If it does, you're in bigger trouble then getting mentoring from me.