Thread: 2019-2020 POE's
View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 07, 2019, 12:39am
Official Forum Member

2019-2020 POE's

Coming to the end of the regular seasons here in Illinois. I was thinking about next year's POE's. Honestly, the number 1 thing I'd like to see has nothing to do directly with us on the court at all.

It seems like everyday I read a different article from a different newspaper in a different state about officials' shortages, and not just in basketball. I hear it every night in a different gym in a different community.

What I'd like to see from the NFHS is a directive to schools to patrol the bleachers better and really enforce that "sportsmanship code" or whatever gets read before the game.

I say this not because I'm thin-skinned and can't take the verbal abuse. If it bothered me I would have given it up years ago. I say it because 80% of new officials quit after two years because of the abuse. I say it because I read an article somewhere that last season there were 14 basketball officials in the state of Illinois age 30 or younger (I was 30 all of last basketball season). 14!!! From Chicago to Carbondale!

Something's got to change. Probably a pipe dream, but perhaps it would help retain more newer officials.