View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 06, 2019, 04:35pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Co-Curricular School Activities ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
My expectations of sportsmanship are not based on any sort of "the court is an extension of the classroom" lip service.
It's not just lip service here in Connecticut. On court, on field, unsporting conduct is not only handled by the on court, on field, officials, and the state interscholastic sports governing body, it's also handled by the school principal, or assistant principal, which in severe cases, can lead to a student athlete being suspended not only from an athletic contest, or a sports team, but also suspended from school, or subject to some other school disciplinary actions outside the realm of athletics.

Same thing can happen to kids on the debate team that violate curfew on overnight trips, or kids in the fishing club that decide to have a few beers on a fishing trip. Or the French club, or the drama club, etc.

These are extracurricular school activities, "extra", but still school activities, paid for out of the Board of Education budget. Some school systems call these co-curricular school activities.

After over thirty years in the classroom here in Connecticut, involved with both sports, and non-sports, school activities, these activities are definitely an extension of the classroom and the school day.

Compare the sportsmanship shown by coaches and players in interscholastic games to the sportsmanship shown by same in recreation, travel, AAU games, etc. Not even close.

Of course the usual caveat, when in Rome ...
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Feb 06, 2019 at 04:37pm.