Thread: Mechanics Creep
View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 06, 2019, 08:31am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
I often see NF level officials who use non-NF mechanics/signals during a game. For example,

1) when chopping in the clock a ref will make a 'fist' and snap it in hemi-circle, instead of vertically stricking an open-hand downward. I have seen NBA and NCAA refs do this; however, to my limited knowledge this is not NF-approved?

2) when signalling a "Block" I frequently see NF level refs bouncing their closed fists off their hips several time s in a rather animated fashion; however, in my limited knowledge I believe the NF mechanic is to place both open hands on your waist between the index and thumb area.

3) when a FT attempt misses the ring entirely, I frequently see NF level refs hold up an index finger and swirl it several times; however, in my limited knowledge I believe the NF mechanic is to sound your whistle, raise your arm with an open hand, and point in the other direction [optional to say "no ring/no rim"] and indicate that we're heading the other direction.

4) when and "and 1" [player scores on an offensive rebound and gets fouled so we're shooting 1] I frequently see NF level refs do a "fist punch" signal to indicate the action; however, in my limited knowledge Ibelieve the NF mechanic is to simply hold up two fingers and strike down, then 1 finger to indicate next action [i.e., one FT is to be attempted next].

I could go on but I'll just end it here...

Aside from a 'purist' point of view, is there anything troubling about these observations?
The only time I worry about any of these things is if I'm working a camp game in front of a purist/older observer.

I don't use the fist for an And-1 because I don't want it confused for a punch (TC or PC foul).

I do use an open hand to chop the clock b/c I think it looks better than clenching my fist and b/c it is a pet peeve of my highest level supervisor.

I use fists to the hips for block calls b/c I don't like the open hand to the hips signal.

For airball free throws and shots that end up over the backboard or hitting a suspended object, I simply do the open hand violation signal and verbalize "violation".

I do or don't do all these things based on what I think looks best for my presentation. If you are hustling, getting into position, managing game situations, and getting plays right, those things you pointed out are not an issue to most supervisors/assignors.