View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 01, 2019, 12:31pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Go Directly To Jail; Do Not Pass Go, Do Not Collect $200 ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy View Post
I don't think this is CB 9.2.10A. I believe Rule 10-4-5a is a better application.
Player Technical
ART. 5
A player shall not: Delay the game by acts such as:
a. Preventing the ball from being made live promptly or from being put in play.
In this specific case, I also prefer the "preventing the ball from being made live promptly or from being put in play" technical foul.

I'm not a big fan a "delay of game" technical foul with no previous "delay" warning (with one very specific exception, knocking the ball out of inbounder's hands).

However 9.2.10 SITUATION A does give us the "directly to technical" option: However, if the tactic in any way interferes with the thrower’s efforts to make a throw-in, a technical foul for delay shall be called even though no previous warning had been issued. In this situation, if the official stopped the clock and issued a team warning, it would allow the team to benefit from the tactic.

I'm researching "end of game delay/prevent" situations for an article I'm writing, and I'm stumbling over these two choices, and exactly which one to use, and when to use them.

I thought I had it all figured out, but 9.2.10 SITUATION A "However" now complicates matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
In various delay/prevent situations after a goal scored:

If the action (throw-in plane, interfering with the ball), with more than five seconds remaining in the game, is delaying the game, go with a delay of game warning (or technical foul after prior warning). If less than five seconds remaining in the game, ignore such actions.

If the action (at any point in the game, regardless of score, or time remaining) is preventing the ball from becoming live (one example, kicking the ball into the bleachers), go directly to a technical foul, not for delay of game, but for the unsporting act of preventing the ball from becoming live (no warning needed), and tack on a delay warning in the book.

The following acts have their own rule and their own penalty, regardless of the score and time remaining in the game: Knocking the ball out of A1’s hands (technical foul), and crossing the boundary line and fouling A1 (intentional personal foul), and also tack on a delay warning in the book for either.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Feb 01, 2019 at 12:41pm.