View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 23, 2019, 02:19pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyu2 View Post

Situations to Consider:

Play 1.
A1 is dribbling very near the sideline opposite the table. HC requests a TO. As the tableside official turns to verify, the ball lands on the sideline. The official opposite and the unaware tableside official simultaneously sound their whistles, one to signal the violation, the other to signal the TO. How would you rule this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
No timeout in situation 1, because there was no player control immediately after the request (by rule, I could say simultaneously with the request, because simultaneous does not mean "at exactly the same time", rather "at the same time, or shortly afterwards"). This was similar to a situation I had where a coach requested a timeout, but as soon as I heard the request, the player with the ball stepped on the sideline. I understood that he requested the timeout to save possession because his player was pressured, but there was no possession to save once the player stepped on the sideline.

I hear the request prior to the OOB violation I'm hitting my whistle and saying "prior to going out-of-bounds, time-out Team A coach".