View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 23, 2019, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

No timeout in situation 1, because there was no player control immediately after the request (by rule, I could say simultaneously with the request, because simultaneous does not mean "at exactly the same time", rather "at the same time, or shortly afterwards"). This was similar to a situation I had where a coach requested a timeout, but as soon as I heard the request, the player with the ball stepped on the sideline. I understood that he requested the timeout to save possession because his player was pressured, but there was no possession to save once the player stepped on the sideline.

No timeout in situation 2, because the officials need to determine who is entitled to possession. A held ball is in joint possession of both players and both teams, so no one team has the required player and team control to request a live-ball timeout. \

I would administer situation 3 as an inadvertent whistle, because the necessary condition for the timeout (player and team control) does not exist.

If the coach of the originally requesting team would request timeout again after the officials indicated the resumption of play (which direction the ball would go next), I would grant it, but I would not allow the original requests because player control was lost at the time of the requests.