View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 20, 2019, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
I think you’re reading something into the POe that isn’t there. It doesn’t say the ref has to check for PC a second time after being sure it is the HC.
I don't think so. I remember before the 2016-17 season there was discussion to do away with the HC requesting time outs during a live ball because of the problems it was causing (table-side) officials in particular. Coaches were "requesting" TO's during PC but on occasion, officials, while verifying it was the HC, ended up "granting" TO's while the ball had become airborne on a try or pass, loose on the floor, jointly held by two opponents and in some cases stolen by the opponent. The Point of Emphasis was for officials to "ensure" player control status prior to granting the requested time out. (which infers checking again before granting) That's the way I remember it being explain at our state interpreter's meeting. We were also told that coaches in our state were told the same thing in their required online state rules meeting and that they must understand officials cannot always immediately grant requests until they ensure there is PC.