Thread: Safety
View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 19, 2019, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Safety

Yesterday, there was a 4-game rivalry series between two local schools--girls jv, girls varsity, boys varsity, then finally, boys jv. For the two varsity games, the gym was packed to capacity. I was there solely as a spectator, not an official.

Apparently, because of the crowd, condensation formed on the ceiling during the third game (boys varsity) and dripped steadily onto the floor right underneath one basket. The two ADs sat on the bleachers under the basket, armed with towels, and did a quick mop-up every time--every time!--the ball went the other way. I don't know if the three varsity officials or the two refs for the final game (boys jv) expressed any doubt about the wisdom of playing under potentially dangerous conditions, but all four games were played, and although there were several slips, no one was injured.

Because of the risk, I'm not sure I would have played the final game; I would have suggested rescheduling it.

Anyone ever deal with this kind of safety-related dilemma? If so, how was the problem handled?