View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 18, 2019, 08:33am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
A1 drives the basket on a fast break, throws up a wild layup between two vertical defenders, the shot misses. A1 had fallen to the ground, gets up and yells "THAT'S A F@#$%^* FOUL".

I am almost positive I've read a case play somewhere that says that would be a flagrant technical for the language. I've looked in two case books and can't find it. Does anyone have a case play?

TIA.

You description of what the A1 said: "F@#$%^*" does not really tell us what A1 said. Since you described in all CAPS we can infer that A1 yelled it at a considerably high volume. While some may disagree with me it is reasonable to assume that A1 was directing her comments toward the covering Official.

That said, depending upon what A1 actually said, would make it an TF or a FTF. It is my personal interpretation of the Rule that anytime the "F" word is used in such instances, A1 would be on the Bench for the rest of the game. Also it has always been the prevailing wisdom of the ages that any comments directed toward an Official is a TF and depending upon the overall circumstances could be a FTF: Once I ejected a Player in a boys' H.S. game after he called me an SOB after he committed a PCF.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio