View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 17, 2019, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think body contact matters more or less on blocked shot than any other play. The same factors we would use to determine coming into the offensive player, landing for the shooter, adv/dis because of contact, etc. Would be applied normally. If it would be incidental contact normally its probably incidental contact here. If it would be a block/push normally block/push here.

The only added layer at all is that as we rule advantage/disadvantage would be if the defender was only able to block the shot or get access to the ball because of illegal body contact they created.

So in the OP there may or may not be contact with the back/tower of the shooter by the defender. I don't think there was but lets say it happened.

If this has no impact on the play or result. Nothing. If it happens after the block it obviously has no impact on the play move on. If the block was going to happen regardless nothing. If it happens prior to the shot and that contact causes the ball/body position of the shooter to change in response to the contact and that leads to the blocked shot then the contact created advantage.

I think a lot of coaches/fans believe the last scenario is WAY more common than it actually is. That the reason the ball is getting blocked is because of illegal contact being caused by the defender.

In think the case of officials who call this a al ot comes from sensitivity to protecting air borne shooters and needing to do a lot of high level boys games before athletic blocked shots and players able to play through some contact becomes your norm. So you've got some officials defaulting from experience and confidence to any contact on the shooter as being a foul.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!