Thread: Stall Ball ...
View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 16, 2019, 11:36am
Esteemed Forum Member

Middle Schools ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJP View Post
How many nights does an official in your conference work during a season?
Two big changes for me this season. I retired from my day job and made myself available for mid-afternoon middle school and freshman games. And, due to arthritis and a bone spur in my ankle, I turned back all my varsity assignments.

I had no idea how many middle schools were assigned by my "high school" board (many), and how hard it is to find officials available for mid-afternoon assignments (very few).

I'm working four middle school games this week, and four next week.

The pays is good. $63.05 for eight minute periods, $47.29 for six minute periods.

And all my games have been in contiguous towns, so no long road trips. I'm in and out, no games before or after my game to observe and evaluate. Because middle school sites often lack secure dressing areas, and may not have shower facilities available, we are encouraged to come dressed in uniform, so no packing and unpacking bags.

I work with new guys, and don't mind offering some tips. I also work with experienced (varsity) guys who get out of work early and want to work on days that they don't have a night assignment. I worked with a partner last week and between us we had over sixty years of experience. It was probably the best officiated middle school game in the state that afternoon.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Jan 16, 2019 at 02:05pm.