Thread: Stall Ball ...
View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 16, 2019, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The conference I assign (23 boys and 22 girls programs) is paying officials $66 each for a 3-person crew this season for varsity basketball. Lower levels pay $40 to $50 for 2-person crews.

Before I would cheer the decision to buy and implement shot clocks, I would scream out long and loud that 100% of this wasted money should go to improve officiating pay across the board.

Cause you know that schools will be mandated to install these stupid clocks and then for the next 10 years I'll have to hear "we don't have more money for officials cause we had to get shot clocks."

For. No. Good. Reason.
How many nights does an official in your conference work during a season?

I am seeing a pay increase this year. The increase I am seeing is by schools who have a hard time contracting officials due to location. In my area, a few local guys moved or retired recently and it is noticeable. The schools that are still paying the least are the ones with easier access to officials. I heard of guys in these areas working 45 nights. I am working around 30. In my area, I feel if some guys didn't work so hard to get every game possible, pay will go up. I really don't care about the money but it would be nice to have a little more leverage when it comes to recruiting new officials.

Last edited by CJP; Wed Jan 16, 2019 at 11:11am.