View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 10, 2019, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Funny you mention this, we've been dealing with this all year in Iowa. Two years ago, the state came out with a memo to coaches AND officials that for girls, basically any headband goes as long as there are no hard surfaces. So it's been the wild west with head gear here. Well about 4-5 games into the season this year, the state decided to send a memo to ONLY OFFICIALS saying basically hey, those headbands that have knots in them are illegal and you need to enforce it as such.

I know multiple people who emailed, called, and texted people at the state level to say "hey, that's great but you might want to let the coaches know that." Guys were getting shit about it from coaches because the state refused to tell the coaches and coaches were like "uh, that changed 2 years ago." Still, nothing. So all year, we're still seeing these headbands because the coaches play dumb and/or other officials are not enforcing this new(old) rule. Two night ago, in fact, I had to tell a girl she could not wear them and her coach was like "What are you talking about?" A guy I worked with was the R on a game last week, and I asked him if he was going to enforce it and he basically said until the state gets coaches on the same page, he's not going to battle it. I'm getting there myself.