View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 06, 2019, 02:33pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
While agree with JRutledge that knowing when to start the ten second count is a very basic rule that all of us learned the very first year we officiated, the fact that the NFHS chose to make this an annual interpretation with no relevant rule change leads me to speculate that the NFHS felt that more than just two or three of us were waiting to start a new count until the ball was touched or controlled in the backcourt in this specific situation.

I had to tell a shot clock operator (prep school game) not to wait for control to start the shot clock (after a made basket), start at just a touch, while I didn't start my ten second count until control was established, which could vary by a few seconds. Not being an NCAA official, and being fairly unfamiliar with shot clocks, I learned that on the Forum (it wasn't on our Connecticut prep school rules handout).
NCAA Rules on the 10-second count is not the same as the NF rule. And this rule was changed in the last few years to go along with the shot clock time. If that was asked that could have been explained. But this was not a NCAA rules question or any reference to what the NCAA might do.

And this also has nothing to do with any POE. The rule has been the same since I started officiating in the mid-90s with the NF. But I digress.

Peace