View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 06, 2019, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

More on the issue at college level of inside player going up for rebound, has one hand in contact, outside player also goes up and hits player 1's hand while on ball and ball goes out of bounds. some of you said by rule in college this is out on inside guy, whose hand was hit, since it was on ball, and we have that exception. I don't think that is right, because in the rule book, it says it only applies where there is player control. there is no player control if a rebounder gets up and initially gets one hand on the ball, with opponent having his hand on inside player's hand and knocking it out of bounds. One hand on ball in this situation is not player control.

The NCAA language:

It shall be legal for a defender to accidentally hit the hand of a ballhandler when reaching to block or slap the ball when there is player control with
that player’s hand in contact with the ball and when that player is:
a. A dribbler;
b. Attempting a try for field goal; or
c. Holding the ball.

No player control? then contact not within this exception.

So it's either a foul or out on outside guy. I suppose technically under the rules some would say it's a foul, but I can't imagine that is the way anyone in D1 calls it. in any event, it's not out on the inside guy, and no one at the college level should be under the impression that is the right call, because there was no player control. High school might not have the player control language, I don't know. Of course if it doesn't, I imagine it is simple oversight.

On related note, watched game yesterday, don't know who, where late, might have been UK/Alabama? Yes it was. Bama ahead 3 maybe, has backcourt throwin, 30 seconds or so left, the Bama player receiving throw-in has arm hit by defender and ball goes out of bounds, call was off of Bama. On replay crystal clear it was a foul, technically off Bama but the ballhandler was fouled, ball still went to UK. Bama ended up winning, but could have lost due to that call.

I'm not saying the should expand the circumstances under which the review, but when they review, if they see a foul in the play being reviewed that is determinative, as here, they should be able to get it right. The announcer, Bilas I believe said as much.