View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 04, 2019, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdoebler View Post
So I have had this situation come up 3 times this season and run into issues.
Situation: A1 in the front court passes to A2. The ball is deflected by B2. B2 has a clear path to the ball and is pushed or held by A2. Common foul on A2. Team B is in the Bonus.

First time I was a non calling official, partner signaled bonus prior to reporting and I went to him and asked, Did B2 obtain player control of the ball? Uh maybe, I think so. Later in the locker room, oh did you mean for team control because then we wouldn't have shot free-throws? Yea we should have gone OOB.

Second time, I am the calling official in the trail. Foul takes place in front of bench of team that was fouled.
Tweet - Blue ball sideline.
Lead, we are in the bonus.
Me, Team control foul blue ball sideline.
Lead, are you sure we are in the bonus. New lead old C is standing at the other end of the floor holding up 1 and 1.
Me, team control foul out of bounds sideline.
Coach what are you talking about I have never heard that before. Table I haven't see that before. Coach You guys either huh strange.

Third time, I am the calling official in the lead. Once again in front of the team who was fouled bench.
Tweet - black ball end line.
Coach - We are in the bonus
Me - Coach your player never had control of the ball it is a team control foul throw-in out of bounds.
Partner whoa whoa, it was a loose ball. Coach there was no player control foul.
Me - Team control had not ended it is a throw-in.
In the locker room at halftime. Did you understand the team control foul and why it was out of bounds. Partner "It was a loose ball team control had ended" Me - "when did team control end?" Partner - "When black tipped the ball". Me- "Team control does not end until a try, opponent player control, or the ball out of bounds. (I know that I stated the third part incorrectly as I should have said ball dead, shame on me.) Partner - That's not right we shoot those fouls all the time and they shoot them in NCAA. I don't think that's right. This was a veteran official.

My question comes as to how to efficiently handle these situations when they occur? Having a rules discussion with my partners standing in front of the coach who's team is being effected does not seem professional. How do I administer the correct ruling without having a drawn out conversation/argument with my partners. These were all Varsity Boys games with partners that I would consider experienced and mostly competent.
No bonus during offensive fouls (team control or player control). When there are brief discussions like that during a game, get away from players/coaches, although someone should be able to see the players (for possibility of extra scuffling).

Side note: Sometimes I get scared working with "veteran" officials, not all but quite a few. Usually that means they think they know everything, are "set in their ways", are not up to date on new rule/case changes, are not open to learning/changing, and rarely study rule/case books. Iv'e seen a 30 year veteran award the ball, based on the AP, OOB to a team to start an OT, in a state tournament game.