View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 04, 2019, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Sometimes, though, the official is saying, "I kicked the crap out of that one so I'd better hope they are buying what I am selling."

And, sometimes just a matter-of-fact call can be the best sell -- as in, "That was so obvious I don't need to sell it."
Makes sense but the former reason is not justified. Refs should not do that and that action to me is quite dishonest.

Yes, latter also true and if so, why are we discussing the OP? Play did not look too obvious. My point is that the calling official perhaps, from our view, made a bad call. Now, if he really had something that we could not see clearly, then selling it would have been fine. And selling it may have resulted in not having to discuss it as much with the coach. Pretend offensive player got hit in face. We did not see that but ref picked it up. From his poor position, he sells the strike to the face. In real time, call looks bogus. After play, we all realize, oh, she got hit in the face, based on the ref's call. Not saying that is what actually happened, just using an example where an official may be in a bad spot, see something not obvious, and selling it makes it better than not selling it.

Last edited by bucky; Sat Jan 05, 2019 at 04:59pm.