View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 30, 2018, 03:20pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Skip The Warning ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by delay View Post
He covered it already.
I'm more concerned with the delay at thirty seconds, or if the first delay is later.

Casebook implies that in some cases we may skip the delay warning and go directly to a technical foul (with no warning).

9.2.10 SITUATION A: A1 is out of bounds for a throw-in. B1 reaches through the boundary plane and knocks the ball out of A1’s hands. Team B has not been warned previously for a throw-in plane infraction. RULING: B1 is charged with a technical foul and it also results in the official having a team warning recorded and reported to the head coach. COMMENT: In situations with the clock running and five or less seconds left in the game, a throw-in plane violation or interfering with the ball following a goal should be ignored if its only purpose is to stop the clock. However, if the tactic in any way interferes with the thrower’s efforts to make a throw-in, a technical foul for delay shall be called even though no previous warning had been issued. In this situation, if the official stopped the clock and issued a team warning, it would allow the team to benefit from the tactic. (4-47-1; 10-1-5b, c; 10-3-10)

2000-2001 Basketball Rules Interpretations: SITUATION 15: Immediately following a goal in the first quarter by A1, A3 slaps the ball away so that Team B is unable to make a quick throw-in. In the second quarter, A2 reaches through the inbounds side of the throw-in boundary plane. RULING: The official shall sound his/her whistle and go to the table to have the scorer record a team warning for the specific delay after it has occurred. The specific warning is then reported to the head coach of Team A. Any subsequent delay for interfering with the ball following a basket or throw-in plane violation by Team A shall result in a technical foul charged to Team A.

Interesting that the situations occur in the first half. Would the ruling be the same with thirty, or twenty, or ten seconds left in the game?

Isn't there a caseplay or interpretation where the end-of-game defender throws the ball toward the bleachers (à la Patrick Ewing)?

I can't find it.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Dec 30, 2018 at 03:28pm.