View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 30, 2018, 02:05pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Do Not Pass Go ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
>5, call the DOG. ... In the OP situation there were 7s left, so a Team T for delay should have been called.
I'm confused. Seven is more than five. For more than five you say call the delay of game warning (or technical foul), but for seven you say go directly to the technical foul.

That's my question.

It appears that the NFHS wants us to go directly to the foul for knocking the ball out of A1’s hands, crossing the boundary line and fouling A1, and reaching through the out-of-bounds plane and touching the ball while in the hands of A1 (as we always would regardless of the time remaining and score), but what about other types of delays (like B1 holding the ball) where we would "normally" give a warning (or a technical foul) for not-end-of-the-game situations?

If we would "normally" give a warning (or a technical foul) for not-end-of-the -game situations (like B1 holding the ball), would we skip the warning and go directly to a technical foul for the same situations (like B1 holding the ball) but at the end-of-the-game (greater then five seconds)?

With six minutes to go in the second period a team could tap the ball away and delay to set up their press. Does that mean that we should go directly to a technical foul for delay (even though no previous warning had been issued) because to only warn in this situation would "allow the team to benefit (set up their press) from the tactic ... if the official stopped the clock and issued a team warning"?

Don’t both delays (throw-in plane violation; interfering with the ball following a goal violation) always interfere with the thrower’s efforts to make a throw-in?

I know when to go directly to a foul (knocking the ball out of A1’s hands, crossing the boundary line and fouling A1, and reaching through the out-of-bounds plane and touching the ball while in the hands of A1), regardless of the time remaining and score.

I'm not sure when to only warn (or technical foul) for a throw-in plane violation, or interfering with the ball following a goal violation, in an end-of-the-game situation versus going directly to a technical foul for the same act.

I'm guessing that the NFHS wants us to ignore throw-in plane violations, or interfering with the ball following a goal violations with less than five seconds left, but wants us to go directly to a foul for knocking the ball out of A1’s hands, crossing the boundary line and fouling A1, and reaching through the out-of-bounds plane and touching the ball while in the hands of A1, even with less than five seconds left.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Dec 30, 2018 at 02:28pm.