View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 29, 2018, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post
Here once showed up at a site, game was cancelled days before but someone forgot to call our assignor. As it turned out the visiting school had a lockdown situation on campus which also precluded them from traveling. We got half fee.
Never had a lockdown situation while at an event or that impact travel to an event. Had a long discussion at a conference swimming championship meet I was the diving referee for a couple years ago though about the timing of the event. Divers are given the time from 8-10 am to warm up before the swimmers get the pool from 10-11:45 and the swimming meet starts at 12:00. Divers then, by league rule get 30 minutes after the swimming concludes to warm up for diving. Dive sheets are due at the start of the diving warm up. At 8:30 the school went into an hour and 15 minute lockdown. This basically took away all the diving warm from the morning session. I made the decision as the diving referee to extend the warm up before the competition and allow the divers extra time to turn in the dive sheets. All the diving coaches agreed, but one of the swimming coaches (who also coordinates a rec league I umpire for) had strong disapproval to my decision.

The only other major problem I had was a swim meet where the concession stand burned popcorn. The fire alarm goes off everyone has to exit the facility, including all the swimmers who are told to immediately exit, in their suits into 40 degree weather. The districts policy requires the fire department to clear the building before anyone can re-enter. We had some very PO'ed swimmers, coaches and parents. The only thing we could do is give them an extended period to warm up after they were allowed to reenter the building.