View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 25, 2018, 09:44am
Esteemed Forum Member

When Is A Block Not A Block ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
... it's another manifestation of arbiter's hierarchy, where officials are an afterthought, a necessary evil.
I understand the difference between block and a firm block from the assigner's side, one provides more flexibility, but for an official, what's the difference? Why would I have a need for both?

If I have a doctor's appointment, family event, church event, vacation, tickets to a sports event, or a concert, etc., I block for those reasons. As far as I'm concerned those are firm blocks.

Why would I have a need for something less than a firm block?

Come to think of it, I've also had a few experiences with less than firm blocks being assigned to me. Our Arbiter assignments build in a ninety minute travel "delay". Back when I was working, I indicated that I would not be able to leave work before 5:00 p.m., yet I often received assignments at 6:00 p.m. or 6:15 p.m. Once I even got an assignment at 5:30 p.m. (ten minutes from work). No big deal, I tried to sneak out a few minutes early, but maybe that's the reason for the "flexible" blocks.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)