View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 24, 2018, 02:50pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
I think that assigners can override blocks unless the official makes them firm. This may have been MTD, Jr.'s problem, as it was mine last week.

Here is what arbiter has to say:

A “firm” block is one that your assigner cannot override when making assignments. Normally, an assigner can still make an assignment even if you have a date blocked. They simply are notified that you’ve set a block, but they can still assign you. Marking blocks as firm prevents your assigner from overriding a blocked date or time.

After you have blocked a date, select view schedule in the action section.
Click on the date and the lower portion of the screen will show you the blocks that have been set on that date.
Click the edit pencil to the left-side of the block.
Check the box in the firm column then click the blue floppy disk icon to save.
Quote:
sdoebler, you may be right, but this is a direct quote (with emphases added) from the arbiter website:
"A 'firm' block is one that your assigner cannot override when making assignments. Normally, an assigner can still make an assignment even if you have a date blocked. They simply are notified that you’ve set a block, but they can still assign you. Marking blocks as firm prevents your assigner from overriding a blocked date or time."
I only learned about firming blocks after several years of being on arbiter. Mark, is Junior aware of this capability?
Quote:
Screen shots are another technology I'm not good at. Try this--go to this page on arbiter: https://arbitersports.force.com/offi...Dates-and-Time

Scroll down about half way, to a section entitled Making Blocks "Firm" and Making Notes on Blocks

Essentially, you view the schedule, click on the date you want to firm up, click on the pencil on the left, then the firm box on the right, and then click on the blue disk to save your firm block.

Thanks for all the help and information.

One thing that I want to get off my chest: A "block" means a "block"; adding a "firm block" is absolute nonsense. If the assigner wants to over ride the "block" then he needs to either call, text, or email the official and ask him.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio