View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 22, 2018, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Yes it is, an extra ten minute running time period for those players who didn't play in the "real" game, not all middle school games, just two leagues that we work.

Each official gets an additional $15.76.

Officiate ten minutes of the worst basketball one has ever seen in one's life at a rate comparable to $94.56 an hour.

I'll do that any day of the week that ends in "day".

I'll even work these games on days of the week that don't end in "day".
A couple leagues around me do it differently. They play 5 "quarters" for MS. The first three require participation of all players and are all running clock periods. The second "half" is normal rules and no required participation. This allows everyone to play while at the same time making part of the game still somewhat realistic (they do have press and defense rules as well depending on the game situation). One of these leagues goes so far as to adjust the score at the beginning of the 2nd half. If a team wins the quarter they get two points, if they tie the quarter each team gets 1 point and if you lose the quarter you get zero. This means the second "half" can start with no more than a 6-0 lead, but can be as low as 3-3 (which is funny for the half in which nobody even scored). The other league uses straight scoring all the way through the 5 periods.

As for the rate of pay for those games. I wish it was closes to the hourly rate you guys get. We don't get close to that for the 5 quarter games we do, or for the 8 minute quarter games some leagues have started using.