View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 22, 2018, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
Recently had a game cancelled 3 hours before tip off and prior to arriving at the game. Game was cancelled because other team did not have enough players to play.

Under this scenario, in your local areas, do you get a half a game fee or whole game fee for short notice cancellation?

If you bug out on a hotel room or dentist appointment you would be charged!
We have a new policy put in place this year in my state.

As always, Act of God cancellations do not obligate a school to pay an official unless the official has already left for the event, at which time a partial payment is due if the event hasn't started.

For example, the official (who lives 30 minutes away) is notified three hours before a game that due to weather conditions, the game is cancelled. No payment is due.

If in the same situation, the official is on the way or has arrived but conditions do not permit the contest to start, the officials are due 1/2 a game fee (IIRC, I have never had this happen). If the contest starts and then it is cancelled, a full game fee is due. (Only a fee for game 1 of a multiple game event is due if cancelled during the first game).

What has changed is with non-Act of God cancellations. Per the state association, any of these cancellations outside of 10 days from the event mean no payment due. Any cancellations within 10 days require the payment of the official if the official does not pick up another assignment for that date (must be that date).

This largely came about by volleyball teams overscheduling officials for tourneys and dropping officials when they realized they had too many officials for the number of teams.

I have a few examples of this from my assigning this season (all within 10 days).

1) Team notifies me the day of a meet that the meet is cancelled due to a band concert that night. I pushed for the official to be paid (until another official was sick and bailed and I was able to use the cancelled official as the replacement.)

2) Team notifies me that the meet is cancelled because of a scheduling conflict with the facility for that date. Guess what, I'm pushing for payment for the official. Your inability to schedule your facility isn't a problem my official should be punished for.

3) The one I'm dealing with now was a school having a water main break, which means they can't use the running water at the facility so they cancelled a meet. (They still have the team practicing in the facility though). To me a water main break is an Act of God so I don't think I will pursue this one.