View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 17, 2018, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by #olderthanilook View Post
Well, we also know the majority of guys on this forum aren't "in it for the kids", so there's that.
Although "being in it for the kids" is a noble sentiment, I realize that I do not actually agree with that idea. College officials and professional officials are not "in it for the kids" by definition because the competitors in their games are adults. In addition, professional and (some) college officials have officiating as their main source of income, so any idealistic expressions such as the above are mere rationalizations.

Was Ed Hochuli really "in it for the kids" when he started his officiating career as a law student working Pop Warner games to make a few extra bucks? Did Joey Crawford or Zach Zarba start their basketball careers "for the kids"?

Some officials do want to give back to the athletes whose games that they officiate, but many officials are in the game for other reasons. Thus, "for the kids" is just a rationalization used to guilt-trip high school officials into accepting certain sacrifices that they would not otherwise want to make. College basketball went 3-person a long time ago, at least on the men's side, and shows no signs of there being a remote desire to change back to 2-person. Maybe this was because there was no false idealism in college basketball officiating.

Personally, although I do give high school and recreational games that I am assigned to maximum effort and attention possible, I am not in it "for the kids", because I look to pursue higher-level opportunities in officiating. This is because I have enjoyed my officiating experience so far, and wish to continue it for as long as I am able to run up and down a field/court.