Thread: Framing pitches
View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 12, 2003, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

I think framing can be a good thing

I would agree that especially in HS ball and below if a catcher is able to frame the pitch very carefully it not only makes the umpires job easier but it also makes it a lot easier on the coaches.

As one poster stated above, one catcher might catch the outside corner pitch but move his mitt downward, (he won't get the call).

the other F2 would catch the pitch as Warren stated by only rotating the wrist to cover the pitch. (he will get the call)

Most umpires are looking for a pitcher who can hit the mitt. A good catcher who can frame those pitches will get probably 5-10 calls a game that any other catcher would not get.

An example is the kid who sets up 6 inches off the plate and F1 hits the mitt and the dumb F2 tries to frame the pitch to make it look marginal. Everyone in the stands thinks its a strike and so does the coach even though he called the pitch that far outside.

That is not proper framing. A good F2 will only frame the pitch when its needed, but if the pitch is over the plate he will help the umpire.

This is just as important I might add on the inside corner even though many kids don't work as hard on framing that pitch for some reason.

Until Questec has started to ruin MLB you would also see this in MLB. Now they are afraid to call these pitches for fear of repercussions.

Thanks
David