View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 15, 2018, 12:39pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Old Casebook Plays Never Die, They Just Fade Away …

(With apologies to General Douglas MacArthur.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
10.6.1 SITUATION E: B1 attempts to steal the ball from stationary A1 who is holding the ball. B1 misses the ball and falls to the floor. In dribbling away, A1 contacts B1's leg, loses control of the ball and falls to the floor. RULING: No infraction or foul has occurred and play continues. Unless B1 made an effort to trip or block A1, he/she is entitled to a position on the court even if it is momentarily lying on the floor after falling down.
This is yet another "The Case Of the Unannounced Disappearing For No Known Reason Casebook Play". No apparent rule change. No NFHS announcement. No replacement caseplay. No new interpretation. No NFHS cancellation of the old interpretation. Last appeared in the 2004-05 (goes back to at least 1996-97) NFHS casebook. And then, Penn and Teller made it disappear. How are young officials without old archived casebooks supposed know this interpretation? By the oral tradition of young basketball officials sitting around a campfire listening to stories about old casebook plays from old, grizzled, veteran officials (like Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.)? On the other hand, how is an experienced official who used this interpretation for the many years that it was in the casebook supposed to know that the interpretation has changed?

Get comfortable everybody, because the movie is about to begin, and it going to be a long movie. Almost as long as Gone With The Wind. I'm the guy who looks just like George Clooney.

Spoiler alert, there won't be any closure at the end, just some well thought out opinions from both the protagonists and the antagonists, many of whom are reliable posters on the Forum.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Dec 15, 2018 at 03:11pm.