View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 13, 2018, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebob21 View Post
NCAA has opened the option for 4-man crews for next year's post-season. Say I want to try a little 4-man in Daddy Ball for S&G's...as I'm not likely to work any D1 postseason soon.

Is this just 3 man mechanics + 1? Here's what I expect (having never seen a 4-man manual):
  • Ball hit to the infield: Everyone stays in position.
  • Ball hit to RF: U1 chases, U2 slides to the gap and covers 1B/2B; everyone follows counter-rotated 3-man mechanics. (Does HP take the tagup at 1B?)
  • Ball hit to CF: U2 chases, U1 slides to the gap; everyone follows counter-rotated 3-man mechanics. (U1 has tag at 1B/2B)
  • Ball hit to LF: U3 chases, PU moves to 3B, U1 rotates home, U2 slides to the gap; everyone follows counter-rotated 3-man mechanics. (PU has tag at 3B, U2 has tag at 1B/2B?)
Teebob,
I just got my CAA manual and disappointed that 4 umpire system is not a part of the manual. Having said that, there is a 4 umpire system listed in both the NFHS and USA Softball manuals, but it is listed as only one page, basically: if someone goes out, revert to the 3 umpire system.

WBSC has a 4 umpire system posted on their website (it is public). But this doesn't strictly follow the philosophy of NFHS/USA mechanics.

For my state high school association, I have created an extensive guide for both 3 and 4 umpire system that follow the basic philosophy of the 2 umpire system (which is the base system for USA and NFHS). As you say, the 3 umpire system is "2 + 1" and the 4 umpire system is "3 + 1".

If you want my opinion, following the "2 + 1 + 1" philosophy:
Quote:
Ball hit to the infield: Everyone stays in position.
Yes. As a trainer and evaluator, it is difficult to get U3 to just stay still or take a step or two into a calling position. Too many want to buttonhook on a ball into the infield, or mirror a call at first (the 45*).

Quote:
Ball hit to RF: U1 chases, U2 slides to the gap and covers 1B/2B; everyone follows counter-rotated 3-man mechanics. (Does HP take the tagup at 1B?)
Umpire movement is as you say, U2 has both 1st and 2nd, U3 and PU holds. U2 is responsible for any play at first -- think this way: in 2 umpire, who has plays at first? Answer: the base umpire. In NFHS/USA three umpire, if U1 chases, who has the call at first? Answer: the remaining base umpire (U3).
Note: here is your difference with NCAA mechanics, as 3 umpire mechanics is the NCAA "base" and there is a different philosophy.

Note 2: U2 starting position is always on the first base side of second base, even with a runner on second. This provides U2 the ability to cover 1st if necessary. At one time (ISF), U2 was rotated over with a runner on second, but that is no longer. It will be interesting to see how NCAA handles this with the change in the 3 umpire system, rotated starting position.

Quote:
Ball hit to CF: U2 chases, U1 slides to the gap; everyone follows counter-rotated 3-man mechanics. (U1 has tag at 1B/2B)
No, U3 fills the vacated spot of U2 - and takes 1st (if necessary) when U1 vacates by rotating home. Umpires rotate: U1 rotates to plate when a runner passes 2nd; PU rotates up to third. Basically, you fill the empty space in front of you. Communication is the key.

Quote:
Ball hit to LF: U3 chases, PU moves to 3B, U1 rotates home, U2 slides to the gap; everyone follows counter-rotated 3-man mechanics. (PU has tag at 3B, U2 has tag at 1B/2B?)
Yes, but I would not call that "counter-rotated" mechanics. There is a rotation, so this (and when U2 chases) is more like following the rotated started position from 3 umpire.