View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 12, 2018, 09:40am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
But by rule that's wrong, no? The catcher and pitcher are the last player to play that position not the person listed on your lineup card. And what would you do if he then said, fine, well then I'm courtesy running for Maddy who's on third base, she's my first baseman now but your card says she's the pitcher.
Well, if he said that to me, then I would immediately change Maddy from F1 to F3 on my card since he just announced the change, and not allow the CR.

The PU's lineup card is the official document that captures the legal batting order, who is in the game, who is on the bench, who can and cannot enter/reenter, etc. It is up to the coach to ensure what he/she has in the game matches the PU's card, not the other way around. Otherwise, there would be no requirement for the coach to inform the PU when he/she makes any changes.

Yes, in theory, the coach could suggest entering a CR for Maddy, who is the pitcher on the PU's card, if he didn't tell the PU earlier she's been playing at first base. What proof would the PU have that Maddy moved over there? Is it really the PU's responsibility to be that vigilant inning after inning? If it was, then there would be no rules requiring the coach to inform the PU of any change whatsoever.

And without that proof, the PU really has no choice but to allow a CR for Maddy.

Now, when that happens, I'm pretty sure the opposing team will tell the PU, "Hey, he can't do that! She's been playing at first base since the last inning!" Whereupon the PU will ask the coach if that's true. If the coach wants to lie about it, that's another issue entirely.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker