View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 11, 2018, 01:21pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Of course, we have already instructed coaches to report those.
The question is the effect of a team wanting a CR after a non-reported change.
It seems to me that is still the same, non-reported means it did not happen for lineup purposes.
Personally, I think the rule change is one to fix coaches' stupidity. When I first started out umpiring USA (and NFHS) softball, I'd take extra efforts to determine if the pitcher and catcher in the game are the ones listed in my lineup card, just so I could make sure a coach would be allowed to enter a CR for one of them.

Then I came to the realization that it wasn't my responsibility to worry about it. If the coach wanted to enter a CR for a player who was not listed as the current pitcher or catcher on my card, I would just say, "Sorry coach, but I can't accept that." Not my fault that I didn't make the annotation on my card of the new pitcher or catcher. It behooved the coach to keep me straight, and if he/she didn't want to because the rule book didn't require it, that's on him/her.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker