View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 10, 2018, 06:48pm
beware big brother

In Illinois it is not required you belong to any association to get games. Many officials do belong to one or more than one association, but it is optional. When I was a high school official, I was a member of two different organizations. Now that I am a college official that still works some high school basketball, I do not belong to any association. I don't get as many high school games as I used to since I am really only available on a few Friday nights during the season, but I could still get a full high school schedule without being in an association if I wanted one. We pay $50 to the IHSA, which includes a rule book every other year. After that, I pay $7.5 to a group of assignors for Arbiter access. That is it. Total out of pocket expenses, whether I work 1 high school game or 100 is $57.50. Our assignors get paid directly by the conference. Of course that money is coming out of our pay in lower fees, but we never see it, so I guess it is less painful. We have a high school assignor in the Chicago area that assigns about 45 high schools and had 55 or so last year. He assigns all levels of the boys games. Combined for the 4 conferences he makes nothing close to what Billymac's assignor makes. Probably half that. Around here, the real money to be made as an assignor is through summer camps.