View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 10, 2018, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Different strokes....

Here, assigners are paid by the leagues with whom they contract. I am not aware of a local basketball assigner--school or rec--who imposes a %, per-game fee. I pay $45 per sport (I work basketball and soccer) to PIAA, and $30 per sport to my two local chapters. That's it, a total of $150 for two sports. Covers banquets, yearly rule and case books (some chapters also provide the biennial officials manual, others do not), scholarships to young officials to go to camps, etc.

There are no other organizations that service the vast majority of schools throughout the state, although some independent schools do their own assigning or have someone do it. That person usually draws from a local chapter. Same thing for rec ball--assigners are typically also PIAA officials and draw from local chapters. No additional dues or fees.

I no longer work school baseball, but in summer ball, there is one major assigner who tacks on a game fee. I do not and will not work for him. One assigner for whom I used to work charged $6 per umpire, which he explained as his arbiter cost per official.