View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 10, 2018, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

I see pros and cons. I like the idea of access to data that informs practice so getting info that helps me or my crew (my crew and I?) seems advantageous.

I've also been in games where I've seen/felt pressure to keep a kid in the game and started over analyzing situations or calls. Me problem not a philosophical concern.

Example from last years local regional playdown. My partner and I were working a quarter final game. (1 pair of officials for each quarters, regrouped for semi's, 3rd place, and final.) Late in a close quarter final game my partner has a conversation with the coach telling him to have his #8 be careful because she doesn't want to pick up her 5th on something reckless. He responded back that she only has 2. he goes to me and the the book next Time Out coach is correct. He had been giving her some leeway as he didn't want her fouling on on marginal calls.

Next game he gets in the semi her team is in and she gets 5 fouls in about 9 minutes of playing time.

Not criticizing either situation, just using it to illustrate the pros and cons. Having the right information can allow you to manage a game. Having misinformation or no information can allow you to mismanage. But having the information might actually impact how you see or deal with particular player or call. You have to be ok with that.

More knowledge or information always impacts perspective. You have to find your level of comfort with the amount of information and perspective you apply.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!