View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 05, 2018, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
That's fine that you feel that way, but at the end of the day the "seizure" gesture itself is not an officiating issue. I don't get paid enough to do research and make inferences about what offensive gestures the students might do. If a coach confronts me and says "That student was making fun of my player with epilepsy," I might talk to game admin and leave it to them.

I would address the student deliberately coming down from the bleachers behind the backboard where he isn't allowed to be by rule, but as for the gesture, that's beyond the scope of my responsibility unless he does something that's universally known to be offensive regardless of whom it's directed at (like flipping the bird).
Your 2nd statement is what I am looking for as far as conversation between us officials. Do we address his presence there, not what he's doing.

My opinion mirrors what a lot of people around here feel about the gesture ...it seems per-meditated but agree, that's not part of our call as officials. I'm wanting to know if officials would address him being in that area.

It's a good subject to discuss as I think there are many teaching lessons here for the fan, player, officials and games site admins.