View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 27, 2018, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

This is the reason why NCAA has changed the shot clock rules recently, to make the rules more consistent (Both men and women now have a 30 second shot clock with a non-visible 10-second count), even though some minor differences remain (20 seconds on kicked/fisted balls +front court fouls for men vs 30 for all fouls and 15 for kicked/fisted balls for women).

Perhaps the high school shot clock states will go the college route and adopt a non-visible 10 second count for both boys and girls, because I never understood why college women did not have a 10 second count while men did, even though both used a shot clock.

Still, the HS shot clock rulings for different situations are the same as the college rulings (except CA, where all resets are the full length).
Thus, I would say that the OP was a shot clock violation, because the last team with control prior to the shot missing the ring had joint possession of the ball when the shot clock horn sounded, was awarded control, and control with an expired shot clock (and no shot prior to the horn) is a shot clock violation. This would be supported by Rule 2-11-7i of the NCAAW rulebook, which says that the shot clock stops without a reset after "a simultaneous held ball... after an unsuccessful try that does not contact the ring or flange and the alternating-possession arrow favors the team whose try was unsuccessful."