View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 27, 2018, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I get all of that, but that is not how it is taught across the country for everyone. This was a hard play to the lane and the pass was after there were all the players in the lane and there was a crash. I get what you might have been taught, but I have never heard a D1 official that works that level put that much emphasis on a corner three in transition when the play originated in the lane. Yes, in the halfcourt you might have a situation where the ball moves to the corner that the officials take a look over there (the ball is potentially coming to the lane or primary of the lead), but this was not a typical situation. Not to say that the official could not have seen some of the play, but he had about 6 or 7 players in the lane. The C might not have the angles for all those players. The Lead does not have their primary outside the 3 point line. The Lead has most of the lane. This would have been at best a secondary coverage call and one where the Trail clearly saw this play. The Trail did not hesitate one bit to make this call. There was even a debate that was had in an association meeting where we were reviewing a play and the college official said that he should not have had a call in the lane in transition (and this was in transition) and it sparked a heavy debate in that meeting. So clearly everyone is not on board with the things you are saying. Good discussion, but it certainly is not something everyone is going with when you say that is how this play should be covered. I am not saying you are wrong, just saying that is not everyone's perspective on this play or how we cover these plays.

Peace
I agree that we are all going to have different perspectives. What I was hoping to accomplish was to move away from critiquing whether it was an F2 Personal or Technical Foul and examine the positioning of the officials in view - mainly LEAD. This is where, IMO, critique needs to happen first before moving into call accuracy. As a result, the discussion illuminated different perspectives on coverage. It naturally occurs given the varying backgrounds of conference supervisors - past NCAA or NBA officials - and how they teach their officials.

Great discussion!