View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 26, 2018, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
How does that work with the "up-down-rebound" coverage pattern that officials are instructed to use on shots? If Trail is responsible for the shot (the "up" part), then it stands to reason that he is also responsible for the shooter coming down safely, any contact against him, and rebounding activity. Thus, any look that the lead might have on this play is secondary.

What would you have done as the Lead to officiate both the pass-crash play a few seconds before the 3-point shot, and the F2 foul against the 3-point shooter?
My perspective is coming from working under an NCAA supervisor who preaches the "Lead-Corner Coverage" because of his background. There are several forms of this coverage: NBA = Lead all the way | NCAA = At least open up. If my particular supervisor was breaking down this coverage, he would likely say: LEAD take the shot | TRAIL look into the paint or help LEAD if there is not much action in paint | CENTER/SLOT take the paint. However, every case is different.

If I am in the game in question, this is what I would have likely done. I would be wide as LEAD and anticipate the pass and possible crash, since the offensive team had a player posted in the corner. You have to anticipate plays, not calls. Most of the pass and crashes are no calls because the play has moved to another area at the time of contact. Most of the time, the offensive player does not go "to and through", but this is not always the case. Once I determine that there is nothing on the pass and crash, I would then take the corner 3-point shot, and stay with the shooter UP and DOWN.

If the pass and crash was severe and a call did not come from LEAD, you always have CENTER/SLOT that should be helping with such a critical situation/play.

Just my 2 1/2 cents!