View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 26, 2018, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

But for you guys who work with shot clocks every night, why so many (relatively speaking) questions?
I work in Massachusetts, which uses the shot clock at all levels of high school. But I wouldn't say we get a lot more training and insight than you do Billy.

Our "basic" rule book is the same one you use: which is NFHS. So there is zero in there on the shot clock. The MIAA rule on the shot clock, in its entirety is: "The 30-second shot clock will be utilized at all levels in both boys’ and girls’ games."

To further complicate this, the MIAA has two separate instructions: one dated 2006 that is linked from the current MIAA rule book and a different one (prepared by IAABO) dated 2012 and linked from the MIAA web site. I doubt many officials know this or have seen these. The web site also has a 3-page PDF with a bunch of "real world" shot clock situations -- and I suspect even fewer have seen this.

I carry the IAABO instructions in my bag -- but rarely use them in a pre-game. Shot clock situations are brought up at our association meetings -- but usually when an unusual situation arises. I think we can do a better job here. But in reality, most shot clock situations are simple and easy to handle.

Those of us with college experience bring that knowledge and training to our games. But there are always situations that don't fit perfectly in the rule book and we don't have as many resources to fall back upon. But we do discuss them with our board interpreter or with each other.

The NCAA rule book and the CCA mechanics manual are quite clear on the shot clock. But, just like every other rule, there always will be scenarios that are not precisely spelled out in the rule book or manual.

On those rare nights when I have a shot clock issue, I do my best and explain it to the coaches. And that's always been good enough.