View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 13, 2018, 10:49am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
I guess I am. Al Battista did make a presentation on the different roles and expectations of a 3-man crew, and I did hear similar things about the roles of 3-man crew members during the years I went to Level One camp, so college officials apparently also have the same expectations. Que'z did say that he would come to the U2's on his games for rules questions, because they were more likely to be in the book than the veteran officials. On a related note, U2 did get his schedule improved for telling a crew that dead ball technical fouls are not POI in a difficult game, even though he was ignored by the senior crew members, because he did his job, while R and U1 did not do theirs.

Perhaps Al was using the NBA model for his presentation as well, and Que'z (and other officials) are also using that model at the college level without necessarily knowing about it.

I agree with Rich's sentiment on refusing 2-person games, although I'm not yet at a stage in my career where I have much choice. If I start getting varsity games consistently, then I could choose to work only 3-person at the varsity level, with 2-person subvarsity games. Of course, if and when I reach the college level, I would probably not have time for subvarsity games anyway.
In the college game, the rolls are not formalized, but there are some unwritten expectations. I've worked college games with 3 different D1 Final Four officials. An inexperienced U2 is expected to stay in his primary and worry about his 1/3. It is frowned upon for that U2 to grab calls outside of his primary. The FF official (or any well-established D1 official) is expected to poach in the U2's primary if a whistle is needed. And my highest level supervisor annually reminds his staff to let the vets deal with the coaches and for the younger guys to just worry about what's going on between the lines.

At the HS level, my assignor expects me to protect inexperienced officials and for the inexperienced officials to stick to calling the obvious in their primary. Some of the comments you are getting here are from folks who work over and over again with the same officials or in crews. There are no established crews where I work HS games, and I often get officials in the U2 slot who are not yet ready to manage/run a game.

Last edited by Raymond; Tue Nov 13, 2018 at 10:53am.