View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 13, 2018, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
I think you're basing your assumptions on the NBA model, which clearly defines the expected roles of each official.
I guess I am. Al Battista did make a presentation on the different roles and expectations of a 3-man crew, and I did hear similar things about the roles of 3-man crew members during the years I went to Level One camp, so college officials apparently also have the same expectations. Que'z did say that he would come to the U2's on his games for rules questions, because they were more likely to be in the book than the veteran officials. On a related note, U2 did get his schedule improved for telling a crew that dead ball technical fouls are not POI in a difficult game, even though he was ignored by the senior crew members, because he did his job, while R and U1 did not do theirs.

Perhaps Al was using the NBA model for his presentation as well, and Que'z (and other officials) are also using that model at the college level without necessarily knowing about it.

I agree with Rich's sentiment on refusing 2-person games, although I'm not yet at a stage in my career where I have much choice. If I start getting varsity games consistently, then I could choose to work only 3-person at the varsity level, with 2-person subvarsity games. Of course, if and when I reach the college level, I would probably not have time for subvarsity games anyway.