Thread: A Rat
View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 08, 2018, 06:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
I've held my tongue as long as I can. I'd like the opinions of fellow members here.

In March of last season, we elected officers for this season. The President for the 2017-18 season lost. He did not take losing well. ( BTW, He lost 67% to 33% it wasn't close) He broke many of our by laws by going to the area schools and soliciting games for a new officials association that he planned to form. But he hadn't resigned from our board UNTIL the schools had committed to giving him games.

Here's my question, 1st of all, I believe we should be a brotherhood, we should support and raise one another up. How would you handle this situation? Some of our members want to work both boards. ( BTW, we have about 2500 assignments and his board took about 100 )

If one of our members works for his board ( at this point we know of 2) Should there be a penalty? What type of penalty?

Does this happen in other areas? We have a contract with the area schools and conference, we were to be the EXCLUSIVE provider of officiating services for basketball. They interpret the contract differently ( NOW) We serve about 13 high schools, 3 of them have given us all the conference games, not the non conference games, 1 school gave the other board ALL their schedule ( 15 games ) because he offered to work 2 person instead of 3 person, the remainder of schools have given us their entire schedule.

I'd like to stay positive, but this guy.....sore loser. Rat.
If it were truly an exclusive contract, you could seek a judicial review. He could have be seen as interfering with a contractual relationship. But is it worth it? Here’s the deal, officials are independent contractors in most areas. We do know some of The practicalities but....

If someone wants to work under two assigner umbrellas so what? You can assign whoever you want but are you now interfering with some contractual relationship? Honestly I’d let it go, work hard... show them who has the quality officials and why....