View Single Post
Old Sun Nov 04, 2018, 12:45pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Cable Television ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
The famous Honeymooners Episode with Ralph directing Norton around the apartment with the antenna - that was our house every Sunday!
My Dad would be on the roof changing the direction of the antennae all the time. And when we watched the "portable" television (most televisions back then were like big pieces of furniture and were not very portable) we would crinkle aluminum foil (for some reason we called it "tin" foil) around the "rabbit ears" antennae to improve the reception.

As an adult, when I moved to my current location, our television reception got worse. When I lived in the New Haven area as a youth, we got reception from both the New York stations (a little fuzzy, but we could watch it), and the Connecticut stations. At my new location, between two high mountains, we just got the four Connecticut stations, affiliates of ABC, CBS, NBC, and PBS. Four choices, period. No independent stations.

Then one Sunday afternoon, about forty years ago, the neighborhood heard that the cable television, new to our town, salesman was coming down our street. We were all waiting for him our front stoops, with checkbooks in hand, and he made a lot of easy sales in my neighborhood.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)