Thread: Foul during FT
View Single Post
Old Sat Nov 03, 2018, 07:38am
Esteemed Forum Member

Intentional Foul Against Free Throw Shooter ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
... wasn't there an ... interpretation a couple of years ago that said crossing into the FT semi-circle and fouling the FT shooter should be an intentional foul (if before the FT is dead)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Search of NFHS Interpretations came up with nothing on that score ... I don't recall "Intentional" being any part of it during this clarification process.
Camron Rust is correct.

Previous to the 2015-16 season, as the NFHS was changing (again) from "hit" to "release" on free throws, International IAABO interpreter, Peter Webb, may have jumped the gun and come out with comments regarding the free throw shooter being a "sitting duck" and that if the shooter was fouled, it should be an intentional foul. I believe that his comments appeared in IAABO's Sportorials magazine. Referee magazine may have played a minor role in this confusion. I remember that I was embarrassed to be an IAABO member because it's IAABO's role to train officials, it's not the role of IAABO to make rule changes, or to interpret rules.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Nov 03, 2018 at 08:02am.