View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 02, 2018, 12:15pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Odd Situation ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
...a huge number of people, including some officials don't know the rule.
I worked with a multiple state final official a few years ago. Great official. Great mechanics. Great positioning. Great partner. Great game management. Active on the training committee and the evaluation committee. The whole nine yards.

I'm lead and a shot is taken from my partner's primary. Of course, I keep my field of vision down, ignoring the shot, watching for rebounding fouls. I observe the ball come down, hitting the floor inbounds directly under the backboard, while two rebounding opponents simply watch the ball bounce out of bounds. I assume the shot was short, missed "everything", and bounced out of bounds, so I call the out of bounds violation (knowing my partner would correct me if I was wrong, like a shot tipped by the defense) and administer a throwin to the nonshooting team. But I was confused by the behavior of the two rebounding opponents, not reacting in any way, or attempting to get the ball, after bouncing inbounds.

So I ask my partner about the play during the halftime intermission, "What did you see?". She explains that the shot did indeed go over the backboard, but because it didn't hit the top of the backboard, and eventually hit inbounds, there was no violation for over the backboard. I told her that I believed that her interpretation was flawed and we moved on.

She's also an NCAA-W official. Could that have impacted her interpretation? I know more about open heart surgery than I do about NCAA-W rules.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Nov 02, 2018 at 04:56pm.