View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 30, 2018, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Coaches: Indirect vs. Direct

I'm really trying to clean up some little things in my knowledge of the rules this year. I've always been REALLY bad at direct vs. indirect techs against the coach. There's a good chart here but I have such a hard time remembering which is which. I use the process of elimination to have a rough idea of what type it is. So I know that players who are in the game on the court are penalized and not the coach. That's where it gets tough for me.

Administrative technicals not assessed directly or indirectly throws me off big time (Providing rosters; starters; numbers, changes, additions, etc.; team not ready to start half, TV monitor, electronic communication; not occupying assigned bench; more than five players; excess time-out; violation after team warning for delay; all players not returning at same time after time-out or intermission).

Is there a good way that you use to remember which is which? I've tried so hard over the past 6 years of doing varsity games to memorize which is which and keep them straight but I still find myself REALLY struggling to place the techs under the correct heading and which type, if any, goes directly or indirectly to the head coach. Is it accurate to say that poor behavior related techs (whether on HC or team member/assistant) are either direct/indirect and anything that's not behavior related is administrative and not indirect/direct?

The Fed also has the new POE this year saying that coaches are responsible for knowing the apparel rules, but it still seems like the onus is on us and there's really no penalty for the coach not knowing/enforcing the uniform rules prior to us getting out there. Is that accurate, or am I not reading that correctly?

I hate this time of year because I feel so rusty and unprepared to actually get out there and call a game.