View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 11, 2018, 03:47pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Number Of Steps, No Way ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Didn't the article mention something about "2 steps"?
Yes, so what about two steps? That's it, that's the whole rule? Curious minds may want to know. Human curiosity in humans has been scientifically correlated to human intelligence.

I am not the first Forum member to mention rules sets other than NFHS, nor will I be the last. I'm sure that some inexperienced officials watch NBA games, with announcers accurately, or inaccurately, describing NBA rules.

But to be on the safe side, for inexperienced officials (especially now when many associations hold their new officials training sessions), here's a short version of NFHS traveling rules:

The traveling rule is one of the most misunderstood rules in basketball. To start a dribble, the ball must be released before the pivot foot is lifted. On a pass, or a shot, the pivot foot may be lifted, but may not return to the floor before the ball is released. A player may slide on the floor while trying to secure a loose ball until that player’s momentum stops. At that point that player cannot attempt to get up, or rollover. A player securing a ball while on the floor cannot attempt to stand up unless that player starts a dribble. A player in this situation may also pass, shoot, or request a timeout. If the player is flat on his, or her, back, that player may sit up without violating.

A player must be holding the ball (with one very rare exception) in order to travel. A player can't travel while dribbling, while tapping the ball, while fumbling it, or while trying to recover a loose ball. During a fumble the player is not in control of the ball, and therefore, cannot be called for a traveling violation. A fumble is the accidental loss of player control when the ball is unintentionally dropped, or slips from a player’s grasp. After a player has ended a dribble and fumbled the ball, that player may recover the ball without violating. Any steps taken during the recovery of a fumble are not traveling, regardless of how far the ball goes, and the amount of advantage that is gained. It is always legal to recover a fumble, even at the end of a dribble, however that player cannot begin a new dribble, which would be an illegal dribble violation. A player who fumbles the ball when receiving a pass may legally start a dribble

Inexperienced officials please note that there is not a single reference in the NFHS travel rule to the number of steps taken. Not one and a half. Not two. Don't count. Identify the pivot foot. Keep your eye on the pivot foot and understand the legal limitations of moving the pivot foot.

The NCAA may be the same (I'm not an NCAA official). FIBA may, or may not, be the same (probably not the same, I saw some odd called, and uncalled, travels when my daughter played in Spain). The NBA is different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
... what makes this illegal at the NFHS level?
Harden's move would be illegal in a NFHS game because he lifted is pivot foot and put it back on the floor before he released the shot. Why legal in the NBA? Not sure, but it has something to do with two steps.

With the exception of fully explaining the NBA travel rule, I have now fulfilled one of my goals from this thread, noting the differences between the two rule sets.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Oct 11, 2018 at 04:20pm.