View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 08, 2018, 07:34am
Chain of Fools

Since we are not all in a room together to discern each other's facial features and body language, context is difficult in this forum.

Over the years of participating in these on-line forums, I have found it wise to refer to our resources such as rule and case books and Reddings guide prior to responding. These boards have been a great tool to increase learning.

However, it is prudent to be able to support your answers or theories here, much like a college level class or discussion group. Being encouraged to "look it up" helps make you a better official by forcing you to familiarize yourself with the tools that you have available. If you genuinely are confused or clueless on where to find the answer, its best to just be up front about it. There are some who are merely lazy on doing research and want a quick answer.

There can be a line between being a tough instructor and being an a-hole and sometimes personalities get in the way but a tougher mindset is required to survive in this avocation. The guy that was my primary trainer back when I started was tough on me at times but I feel that it was beneficial to me .