View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 03, 2018, 01:27pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Because when nonsense was happening in the (stupid) postgame handshake lines, administrators and parents weren't doing their job, so they decided to require the officials to be the babysitters that pick up the slack.
This isn't true. It was implemented so that basketball would be consistent with all the other sports, which have a post-game handshake that is observed by officials. It is not a policing mechanism. Rather, it is so that the officials can be part of the "sportsmanship celebration". Yes, really.

Prior to this year, officials were not required to shake the players hands as part of the celebration, but were allowed to do so if they desired. This year, however, it seems likely that the MIAA will change that and say that we observe the line and then leave the floor without shaking hands/fist-bumping the players. That's not a done deal yet, but it's being recommended.

Quote:
Not only that, but they took away the ability of officials to penalize misbehavior even when they haven't left the visual confines. IOW, the MIAA ignores the NFHS rule regarding the end of the officials' jurisdiction while still requiring the officials to be present for the dog-and-pony show.
This is kind of true. The officials are allowed to assess technical fouls during the handshake, but the penalties are not applied during the game. They are charged and reported to the state office. For coaches, they can still be suspended or penalized, but the result of the game is not affected.

Quote:
I wish we'd get rid of handshakes. Thankfully, most states (including mine) don't have this Massachusetts hooey.
I wouldn't mind the handshake at all if we did it BEFORE the game. It still promotes sportsmanship among the participants, but does so at a time when emotions aren't running high.