View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 02, 2018, 03:11am
Esteemed Forum Member

Nobody's Perfect (Deep Purple, 1988) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
... some veteran ... did not read that the rule changed 5 years ago.
Observed two guys last season, both journeyman veterans, who I've worked varsity games with, and who are decent game callers (advantage/disadvantage, game management, primary coverage areas, confident calls, etc.). They put a player on the free throw line after the time has expired for the fourth quarter and the final horn had sounded, when said player's free throws would not have affected the outcome of the game, and they had rebounders on the lane lines.

Nobody's perfect, but I would have thought that one of these two guys would have said to the other, "Wait a minute ...".

I called a double foul last season (two players being knuckleheads early in a physical rivalry game). I seldom make this call and dislike the call for a few reasons, one being that I hate memorizing two numbers with two colors and reporting such (I'm always afraid that I'm going to mix them up, right color, wrong number). I knew that play was going to be resumed from the point of interruption (not from a jump ball, or alternating possession, like in Ancient Times © Mark T. DeNucci, Sr., 2018). On the way to the table I kept saying to myself, "White 40, Blue 20. White 40, Blue 20. White 40, Blue 20". I was pretty pleased with myself that I remembered that play was going to be resumed from the point of interruption, but I confusedly (thinking to myself that the hardest part of the call was reporting the correct fouls) and carelessly gave the ball to the wrong team. Coach incorrectly thought that I used the alternating possession arrow and questioned me when they didn't get the next alternating possession arrow. I wish I had a partner that night that said "Wait a minute ...".

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Oct 02, 2018 at 06:19am.